How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109047
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my wife was caught in 1996 crossing illegal and then

Customer Question

If my wife was caught in 1996 crossing illegal and then crossed in 1997 can she still get a green card
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.
She was deported in 1996 and crossed illegally again in 1997?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not know if you call it deported or not she said thattags was caught crossing and then did it again in 1997 and she was not caught she said all she can remember is that thay did fingerprinted her
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The lawyer she has now said she would be ok all she will need is a waiver a I 601
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
It's actually an I-601A waiver unless she wants to leave first and wait outside for a year or more. Take a look at this link: As you can see, she is subject to a criminal penalty because she came back illegally after being refused entry previously, so she has to be very careful. What country is she from? What age was she when she entered the U.S.?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mexico she was 17 if sheg gets a waver I601a will she be ok
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
No exactly. At 17, she would not qualify for DACA. I assume she does not qualify for 245(i)? Do you know what that is?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
That's a shame. Let me explain about the I-601A. It isn't a new law. It is a new procedure. What has changed is that before, with the old I-601, a person had to leave the U.S. and spend around 15 months or so while waiting for their appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country and then HOPE that they got approved, but the change is that now, with the newer I-601A, the same person can apply inside the U.S., get a pre-approval, and then with that pre-approval they can leave the U.S. for just a few days or even a day, present themselves for a scheduled appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, and then get the final approval and come back as long as there are no other reasons of inadmissibility, just having entered the U.S. illegally or having overstayed. Here is an official link: At first I was mistrustful of the I-601A and warned people off about it. I felt it was a trick that the U.S. government was using to get people to leave then screw them when they were outside and it was too late, and while that has happened to some, many that get the PRE-approval are able to come back IF they don't have any other issues in their background, just the illegal entry. So what's the problem? Your spouse has TWO attempts at an illegal entry with the last one being successful. So even if she gets the PRE-approval, I am not convinced that she would get the FINAL approval at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. So it is a risk. If she is going to try, I recommend two things: 1) Use an experienced attorney to process the case and make sure it is someone that has processed a number of I-601A waiver and has soon how many they have done have actually ended up successful that the client has been able to come back to the U.S. You can look for one at 2) Make sure you can show a good amount of extreme hardship to you to overbalance that first illegal entry attempt. It should be more than just economic or emotional hardship. Here is a link:,0717-scott.shtmI hope you don't get frustrated or upset at me. I am telling you what I feel is correct because I want to keep her out of trouble. I hope you appreciate that. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So if her waiver was approved she still might not get a green card because she has came two times
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
That is my fear. If she only had one illegal entry, she would probably get it. Because of the one previous attempt at an illegal entry it makes it harder. It does not mean that she will be denied the FINAL approval, but it does make it a little more risky. I just want you to be aware because the risk is taken when she is already outside of the U.S. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. Thank you!
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.

Related Immigration Law Questions