How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5211
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My relative is from Vietnam and married. Both he and his wife

Customer Question

my relative is from Vietnam and married. Both he and his wife are US citizens. His nephew entered the country on a student visa in 6/2013. He recently adopted his son in the US and got adoption paperwork from the California court as well as a 'birth' certificate.
The I20 student visa expired 6/2014. So he doesn't have evidence of being a permanent residence in the country currently. Can he get a US passport?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the attorney helping you today. Your question is a bit confusing. Please be more specific. Can who get a US passport? Who reently a son in the US? Please go step by step.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can his adopted son get a US passport? He currently has a Vietnamese passport with an expired I-20 student visa.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the parent's student visa should not prevent the child from being isssued a US passport if the child has proof that he was born here in the US. There are many people here in the US that are undocumented or out of status whose children were born in the US and are able to get passports in this situation. Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost . Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification instead of leaving a negative rating. A negative rating does not help you or me. Your satisfaction is my goal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess my question wasn't clear so I will try again. The parents are US Citizens. They adopted their nephew who was born in Vietnam not in the US. He was here on a student visa known as an I-20. The student visa expired in June 2014 and in May 2015 they were able to adopt him. They have adoption paperwork from the court plus they now have a birth certificate.The US passport application says that they have to show that the adopted "son" has LPR - Legal Permanent Residency by showing a green card or equivalent. How can they get a passport, or something else that proves he's a US citizen?
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
How old was the adopted son/nephew when they adopted him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
What is his DOB and what is the date the adoption became final?