Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Guillermo, I am helping an aunt file an adjustment of status.

Customer Question

Guillermo, I am helping an aunt file an adjustment of status. She's here on an A3 visa and is no longer working with the employer. She recently married a US citizen. What forms does she need to submit with the adjustment of status? Also, how many total pictures do they need to submit?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for requesting me. I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. You should probably let me help you out with this. The forms at the following: I-130 (Petition for family member), I-485 (application for Lawful Permanent Residency), I-765 (Application for work permit), I-131 (Application for Advance Parole), G-325a (Biographic data - one for each of them), I-693 (Medical exam that a certified doctor must fill out for her), and I-864 (Affidavit of support). They will need to file each form with supporting evidence and appropriate filing fees. They can find these forms at www.uscis.gov/forms. The supporting evidence that they would file would be birth certificates, marriage certificate, divorce certificates if either of them have been married previously, proof of U.S. Citizenship for the U.S. Citizen spouse, proof of the legal entry into the U.S. of your aunt, and financial documents of the U.S. Citizen to prove their income over the last year at least. In about 3 to 5 months after filing, she should get a work permit and Advance Parole (that allows her to travel). About 5 to 7 months after filing they should get a marriage interview. If all goes well, a few weeks later she should get their Residency status (green card). In a few minutes, I will send you an offer of additional service. Check your email for that and follow the directions before leaving a positive rating. Since these are my favorite cases to do, I have a good deal of experience with them and enjoy them. I am more than happy to discuss the case in private over the phone or email for a small additional fee and we can go from there. If you want to decline it, no problem, you can ask additional questions without any additional charge. But if you do decline it, please remember to leave a positive rating for me. Use those smiley faces. Since I am not given a salary, it is the only way that I am compensated by the website. So at least please use the smiley faces and a bonus is always appreciated if you feel I earned it. Also, your question does NOT close just because it says, “To finish…” I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Isn't form I 131 only used in case of emergency travel? Such as to visit an ill relative or attend a funeral? Also, will she need to file I 508 or I 566?
No. It is not. The I-131 is used for 3 different things. The Advance Parole is used for urgent travel. For example, I did one recently where the immigrant has a minor child in her home country that is not immigrating and she asked for an AP to visit her child and it was approved. There was no emergency or anything and the child is not sickly or anything like that. So as long as there is a reasonable reason to travel on the AP, it should be approved. And yes, because she entered on an A3, both an I-508 and I-566 are required because she has to declare renouncing certain protections and benefits from her home country. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's great news about the I 131! I'll be sure to let her know. How many pictures total will she need to submit for all forms?
When I file for a client, I send a total of 8 for the beneficiary, two for the I-130, two for the I-485, two for the I-131, and two for the I-765. It's probably overkill, but it's always worked for me and since they sell them in sets of 4 and I don't think 4 is enough, it's not a big deal. And I would send two for the petitioner (the I-130). Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Last question of the night: do you usually file i 131's for all your AOS cases?
Yes. It is included in the price of the I-485, so there is no reason not to apply for it. Let me know f you need anything else, but please do not forget the positive rating or accepting the additional offer of service. You won't be disappointed. Thank you!
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.