How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108690
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently on a TN visa and would like to change status

Customer Question

I am currently on a TN visa and would like to change status to a H1B visa and then obtain a green card. I have a Bachelor's degree in Education and a Master's degree in Special Education.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and thank you kindly for requesting me to assist you with your concerns. How can I help exactly, what is your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I self petition for a visa or a green card. If so, how do I go about doing it?
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.
Hi, You cannot 'self-petition' for an H1B. A company has to petition for you. Therefore if you obtain a position, the company has to file on your behalf, you cannot file directly. You can file for a green card on your own, however, via lottery. Sincerely, ***** *****
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Essentially, my colleague is correct, but I believe you are asking more about self-petition through employment. It is possible, but very difficult. Here is a link: So basically, if you can prove you are nationally or internationally recognized in your field, you could try for an EB-1A green card and here is a link: Or if you could prove that your employment in the U.S. would be of national interest, you can apply for an EB-2 National Interest Waiver (NIW) green card and here is a link to that: In both methods, you can avoid a Labor Certification which is costly and time-consuming. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.