How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108957
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Marriage to a Mexican national citizen She was divorced in 2014 Own a home in the U.S.

Customer Question

Marriage to a Mexican national citizen
She was divorced in 2014
Own a home in the U.S. Currently for sale - Now renting in her own her
Children both attend college in the U.S.
She currently holds a tourist B-1 and B-2
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.
I'm not sure what your question is. You are a U.S. Citizen and you want to apply for her to get a green card after you marry? How long has she been in the U.S.?
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through. If you are asking how she can become legal through marriage to you, I can help you with that. After you marry, you will need to file an adjustment package. This includes the following forms: I-130 (Petition for family member), I-485 (application for Lawful Permanent Residency), I-765 (Application for work permit), I-131 (Application for Advance Parole), G-325a (Biographic data - one for each of you), I-693 (Medical exam that a certified doctor must fill out), and I-864 (Affidavit of support). You will need to file each form with supporting evidence and appropriate filing fees. You can find these forms at The supporting evidence that you would file would be birth certificates, marriage certificate, divorce certificates if either of you have been married previously, proof of your U.S. Citizenship, proof of your spouse's legal entry into the U.S., and financial documents to prove your income over the last year at least. In about 3 to 5 months after filing, she should get a work permit and Advance Parole. About 5 to 7 months after filing you should get a marriage interview (though now it is taking longer, so maybe closer to 7 to 9 months). If all goes well, a few weeks later she should get a Residency status (green card). As far as her children go, they would only be able to get Residency through you if you marry her before they turn 18 and you file for them before they turn 21. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for you response.Yes, I am a U.S. citizen. When you indicate that I need to prove my residency what documentation do I need for that? A birth certificate, U.S. Pass Port, SS information, etc.?It appears from your response that we just need to fill out the paperwork and provide documentation on income, I assume this is through tax returns or W2's.Once this is complete she can file for a U.S. Citizenship and be able to work in the U.S.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for responding. Unfortunately, she has to go through a few years of U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency first before getting U.S. Citizenship unless she plans to do U.S. Military service. You prove your U.S. Citizenship using your birth certificate if you were born in the U.S. or a Certificate of Naturalization if you were not born in the U.S. and naturalized. They won't accept a U.S. Passport as proof, believe it or not. Why? Because there was a disagreement between the Department of Homeland Security and Department of State as to who has the final say as to who is a U.S. Citizen and DHS won. Anyway, yes, if you file all the paperwork together, she is put back into a stay authorized by the Attorney General and as far as financials go, you should submit your last income tax return, the last 3 to 6 paycheck stubs, last 3 to 6 bank statements, the last W-2s and/or 1099s, and a letter from your employer on company letterhead that states salary, position, time with the company and prospects for continued employment in the near future. In a few minutes, I will send you an offer of additional service. Check your email for that and follow the directions before leaving a positive rating. Since these are my favorite cases to do, I have a good deal of experience with them and enjoy them. I am more than happy to discuss the case in private over the phone or email for a small additional fee and we can go from there. If you want to decline it, no problem, you can ask additional questions without any additional charge. But if you do decline it, please remember to leave a positive rating for me. Use those smiley faces. Since I am not given a salary, it is the only way that I am compensated by the website. So at least please use the smiley faces and a bonus is always appreciated if you feel I earned it. Also, your question does NOT close just because it says, “To finish…” I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Related Immigration Law Questions