Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I came in to the US on an L1A Visa 3 years ago. In my passport it show…

Customer Question
I came in to the...
I came in to the US on an L1A Visa 3 years ago. In my passport it shows an expiration date of 4 July 2017. My I797B form shows an expiration date of 30 June 2015. I have been married to an American for 15 years. 4 months ago I applied for a Green Card
through sponsorship from my wife. I have just been invited for a Green Card interview. I am nervous that with my I797B expired from this week I am illegal and that it will affect my green card application. or because i am in the system for a green card am
I temporarily ok to carry on working here? I believe I would have filed an i765 employment authorization form when I applied for the green card but cannot recall.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/29/2015
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 3 years ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the attorney helping you today.
hi it is saying the question is closed?
Hi don't worry, the question is still open. I'm just preparing the answer for you.
Thanks!
I am nervous that with my I797B expired from this week I am illegal and that it will affect my green card application. or because i am in the system for a green card am I temporarily ok to carry on working here? Don't be nervous. You don't have to worry about it. You are actually not technically illegal. As soon as you filed your green card application you were put into a temporary legal status, which means you are technically legal right now in the US. However, your ability to work in the US is only valid until June 30. You will be allowed to work again when you receive your work permit OR when you receive your green card, which hopefully will be soon. It does not necessarily mean that USCIS will look into this if you don't stop working until you get the work permit or green card, but I do have to let you know the law. :) Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing the Happy faces. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost . Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification instead of leaving a negative rating. A negative rating does not help you or me. Your satisfaction is my goal. If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.
Thanks Jennifer,So just to check, if I had sent in an I-765 employment authorization form with my green card application would that mean that I am allowed to work right now? or if i forgot to do this but sent it in today would I be allowed to work from the moment they receive it?BestTom
Unfortunately, You "legally" would be allowed to work once you receive the card which is usually 3-4 months after you send the I-765. So if you sent it today, you would very likely have the green card before you get the work authorization card.
Thanks Jennifer.
You're very welcome! :)
Please don't forget the rating at this time. If for some reason you can't rate, you can state the rating you would like to leave here: Excellent, Good, OK, Poor, Bad. Thanks!
Hi are you receiving my messages?
Hi Jennifer,I keep tring to rate as excellent but it shows an error message. Jennifer - would you be able to potentially address an issue separately for me?
1. I am undertaking my last day of work today at my company under my L1 visa. I am keen to get another L1 - extension under premium processing which I have been tld could take as little as 10-15 days, meaning I would then be back to work, right? If so, would you be able to expedite this for me? and how much/how long would it take?BestTom
HI Tom: the website is telling me that you don't have money in your account and that's why you're not able to rate me. I'm not sure what's going on.
Hi Tom:
I'm not sure what happened to our question or why it's not letting us continue talking. Were you able to rate the answer? It's not showing me that you did.
If you are not able to rate me in the question, please do me a big favor and contact customer service and let them know that you wish to rate me. This is the only way that I receive credit . Thank you so much.
Jennifer
Hi Tom: Were you able to issue the positive rating or speak to customer service so that I could receive credit for the question I answered for you? Thanks for your consideration.