How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109283
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was born an American. My wife of 12 years was from Colombia.

Customer Question

I was born an American. My wife of 12 years was from Colombia. We did all the right things and she is now a naturalized citizen.
My wife's daughter lives in Curacau. She is a citizen there. She has just went through a terrible divorce. Her ex says he wants her on the street. She has three children. The ex quit making payments on the house three years ago. She will be evicted in July. She works when she can find enough work with computer graphics. However, she does not make enough to support herself, make rent payments etc. We have been sending her money but that is not a solution to fix the problem. It will be cheaper for us to bring her to the USA and help them build a future in this country for employment as well as furthering their education. My wife is in Curacau now and they are preparing to bring the family here as soon as possible. She will be coming on visitors visa. My question. Once she is in the USA can my wife make application for her as an adult daughter immediately? Once we have made application will that prevent immigration from deporting if she gets caught here. If so how long would it take to get her green card and a Social Security card. Would my wife have to make application for the children at the same time, or is that something that would take place later? If later would it be my wife that makes application or would be my stepdaughter once she gets her green card.
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Unfortunately, no. She would still be subject to deportation. The I-130 by itself offers no benefit. In fact, when the time comes years later for the I-130 to be usable, if the daughter has remained a year or more passed the time allowed, she would have to leave the U.S. to use it an if she leaves, she would not be able to come back without a very hard to get waiver. The only good news is that the I-130 would cover her and the minor unmarried children. If you would like to look for alternatives (and there are very few and difficult), I would need to know what level of education she has and if she has money to invest and how much it would be. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.