How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11886
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Trying to ifn out if my Canadian boyfriend can geet a visa

Customer Question

Trying to ifn out if my Canadian boyfriend can geet a visa to the 1978 was convicted of "smugling" 3 small weed plants to the U.S. Spent 2 weeks in jail in confiscated. He has pancretic cancer with 3 months to live...
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces. Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert. There is no way for me to know for sure whether he will be issued a visa. But the only thing he can do is file for a visitor visa, admits to the offenses if and when asked to, and then seek a waiver of inadmissibility by filing a Hranka Waiver.He should wait until the officer to determine he is inadmissible based on the previous offense. Then he should seek permission to file the Hranka Waiver. It is possible that he might not have to go through that, because of the date of offense, and it's relation to immigration laws that came into affect after the offense. What I mean is, it might be that he does not have to go through all of that because the conviction happened before stricter immigration laws came into affect. But this is not the platform for that determination. For that, he should speak directly with an immigration attorney who can look at his record and documents to determine how the date would affect or not affect his eligibility for a visa. One thing is for sure, he should definitely give this a shot, considering his age, condition and the time since the criminal offense occurred. Here is information about the Hranka Waiver, as understanding it could be useful for you both: I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to discuss this or anything else by phone, I can send you an offer for that. There will bean additional fee, if you want to do that. Please let me know and I will send you the offer. I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, this is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you. REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger. Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you. A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it. If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES"in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I still don't understand why I was charged $45.....when I only signed up for $5...
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. For billing issues, you need to contact customer service. That is not something I can help you with, as I am only an immigration attorney answering question you've asked. Were you not satisfied with the service I gave you relating directly to your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I spoke to billing and htey are agoing to fix it ior me.......yes I wassatisfied and will rate you with a 5...however since this is complicated I think it best if I get in touch with a local immigration atorney......or I will go to Canada as plannedhwich would be much easier...all I need is a passport....I cannot risk him gooooing ot jail for whatever time he has left......
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
Well, I will say that I don't think he will go to jail. I don't see why he would, after all this time. But you are right that it might be less of a struggle for you to go visit him at this point.Thank you for the positive rating.
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
I think we are experiencing some technical issues. Are you having issues with the rating system?
Thank you!