How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3951
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister-in-law is a sixty-five-year-old unmarried quadrapelegic

Customer Question

My sister-in-law is a sixty-five-year-old unmarried quadrapelegic (due to a lack of oxygen at birth). Her mind is fine, but she cannot write and is totally wheelchair bound, requiring personal body attention twenty-four hours a day. She was born in the United States, of United States citizens. When she was a child, she lived (with the rest of her family, including three siblings) in Australia, among other countries (her father was an expat oil executive working all over Asia). When she was a young adult, her parents became concerned about her long-term care and set up a trust for her (of which my wife is the trustee) that is adequate to support her needs throughout the rest of her life and from which her legal expenses are paid. Her parents, of adequate but not unlimited means, were intent on finding her the 24-hour care she required for the rest of her life at an affordable cost. The only solution they could find was with an Australian non-profit institute that provides care for severely handicapped people. However, in order to be a client, she had to be an Australian citizen. Her parents persuaded her to renounce her U.S. citizenship (though she was reluctant to do so). Persuaded by her father that she had no other choice, she reluctantly agreed. She has, for all of these years, continued to pay U.S. taxes (as well as Australian taxes). Now, she wants to come home, back to the U.S., before she dies. We asked her Australian lawyer to contact the U.S. consulate in Sydney about reinstating her citizenship. He received a very cursory reply that since she had voluntarily renounced her citizenship, she couldn't get her U.S. citizenship back, end of story. We are seeking an attorney to assist us in getting her citizenship back, through a private bill if necessary. Her Australian attorney has assured us that Australian law will be no impediment and that as far as Australia is concerned, she can maintain dual citizenship. Can you help us, or recommend an attorney who can?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) If you receive a phone call offer while we chat, know that this is an automated test feature the site is running. Due to possible ethical issues, the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I normally decline them. Unless the phone call offer you receive literally states "THIS OFFER IS FROM ELY" (which means I personally initiated it), please do not entertain any such offer; and (C) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am very sorry to hear about this situation.
1) JustAnswer experts cannot represent customers as clients;
2) Nor can we refer you to specific attorneys because of ethical considerations.
What I can do is help you by linking you to a referral service, and explain what options she may have in general, as well as what kind of an attorney would be needed.
Would this be acceptable?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Related Immigration Law Questions