Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I hear that my girlfriend is Is in custody at the airport for

Customer Question
trying to smoke a gold...
I hear that my girlfriend is Is in custody at the airport for trying to smoke a gold but I need to find out if she's there or not her name isMasrern Dzivo can you email me back at David Crail***@******.***
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/26/2015
Immigration Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with this question.
This is the "stranded traveler" scam.
I already now you've never met your "girlfriend" in your life. You hae only communicated with her by electronic means.
She probably claims to have been in Ghana where she's got gold -- an inheritance from her father -- which she is bringing to you in the States so that you can both live happily and wealthily ever after.
However, she gets caught with it at Customs and is arrested. And someone reaches out to you for bail money.
None of this is real. We hear this story all of the time. In fact, you are the third person today who has asked me something similar, and I am only one of many many experts here on this website.
I'm sure you want more concrete information. So please tell me more about this person and her situation, I should be able to look deeper I'll be more than happy to have you send me photos and documents and look them over as well.
But for now, look at these signs of a romance scammer, because I know they are going to be very familiar to you:
- the scammer reaches out to you on a dating or social networking website and she falls in love with you at first sight.
- She moves in on you and rushes the relationship towards some kind of a commitment. She pulls you off the site where you met and tells you that she wants an exclusive relationship with you via webcam, skype, Yahoo messenger, etc. She flirts with you, seduces you and teases you sexually, especially when she is talking about gifts and money.
- And as soon as she knows that she's got you all really hot and interested, she starts asking for things or money. She wants to see you but she will need plane tickets and/or a visa, and a Declaration fee or a Basic Travel Allowance. (no such thing) But then after you've paid all that, she'll have an emergency that keeps her from getting on that plane -- a car accident on the way to the airport. A legal problem with an inheritance from her late father or mother or with her job. A mugging and a trip to the hospital. A dying mother/father/sister/brother/self who can't pay hospital bills. An arrest at the airport or a problem with Customs for trying to get her goods or inheritance out. These are just some of the most popular excuses. There are many others. You can see a very good list of the excuses here.
http://romancescams.org/TypesOfScams.html
No matter what the phony excuse, however, she will say that you're her only hope to solve her problems. And all of her problems will cost you money. A lot of it. Despite that, she will never get an inch closer to boarding that plane.
- She will want the money wired via Western Union or MoneyGram, which has no protection for the sender. It's like throwing your money away.
If you send her money, she'll just come up with another emergency to ask you for more. And another. And another until you catch wise or go broke, whichever happens first.
Again, if you want to send me a copy of this woman's photos or any other documents you have, use the reply tab below to upload them and I'll be happy to add to my answer.
I can email you, but that's an additional service which costs more money. I will send you the information if you want it. If you're not interested, that's okay. We can continue to discuss this on this thread and it will not cost you anything additional for you to upload your photos and any other documents.
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer