How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 102146
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a petitionor husband , and his application has been approved at USCI

Customer Question

Hello ,
I am a petitionor for my husband , and his application has been approved at USCIS and NVC and right now he is waiting for his visa (his interview was at Armenia ), at his interview the officer told him his visa will take between 4 to 6 months to process because they need to do some additional checks on him. (it's been 3 months since his interview now , and he is still waiting
right now , I am thinking to withdraw my petition for my husband because we have so much disagreement , but I am not sure if this is what I want to do for sure . we have been married for 1.6 year and I applied for immigrant visa for my husband 1 month after our marriage .
my question is can I delay my petition so I could think about this case a little bit more
or if I withdraw my petition for my husband at this point , can I reapply for him in future if I changed my mind
what is the best option for me at this point . I don't think our marriage will work and he is very abusive.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) f you receive a phone call offer while we chat, know that this is an automated test feature the site is running. Due to possible ethical issues, the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I normally decline them. Unless the phone call offer you receive literally states "THIS OFFER IS FROM ELY" (which means I personally initiated it), please do not entertain any such offer; and (C) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry, but no, there is no option of "delaying" the petition. Either one cancels their sponsorship (let me know if you need information on how to do so), or one allows it to go through, but there is no option to "pause" the application.
You may of course re-petition for him again if you cancel your sponsorship now, but it would have to be from the beginning.
While I cannot tell you what to do and which is your best option, I hope this information allows you to make a good decision.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Could you please let me know how can I withdraw my petition at this point ?

Thank you,

Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Sure. This may be done by sending a LETTER to that effect to USCIS and NVC. There is no form to fill out, but simply a letter will do.
The NVC contact information where to send the letter is:
National Visa Center
Attn: WC *****
Suite 200
Portsmouth, NH ###-##-####
The USCIS address to where you sent the application and the US Consulate/Embassy may be "cc'd" on the letter as well.
This should effectively terminate sponsorship and the process.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.