How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3951
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been living in the U.S years. I came here as an

Customer Question

I have been living in the U.S for 8 years. I came here as an E3 dependent when I was 13, and when I turned 21, I changed my status to F1 since I was already going to college. I recently married my girlfriend of 3 years. It was kind of spontaneous but we're very happy. Since we got married, I did not renew my student Visa (I have two semesters left for my degrees) and we decided we would adjust for a green card instead. However, my wife does not make 125% above the poverty line as stated in the affidavit of support. I'm an international student and I receive money from my parents outside the U.S. These are usually just Western Union transfers where I pick up the cash and deposit it. There have been a few wire transfers, but it's mostly cash deposits. In the last 8 months or so, I've received about $20,000 from them. And I will continue to receive this money for as long as I am in the U.S and need it. Since I'm an F1 student, my parents had to show proof of their ability to support me either way. My main concern is that since my wife only makes about 15K, She would not be able to sponsor me. My other concert is that we did not have a wedding ceremony. We are gay, and our families do not approve of our relationship. Only our friends know about our engagement, and our families did not participate in any way. We do have extensive evidence of our relationship for the last 3 years. Photos, notes, receipts of her paying some my tuition, letters from our friends, joint bank accounts, and lease agreement. Will any of this be a problem, and do my cash deposits as an international student count as household member income and what can i show to prove this income?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. And you are the only person who can help me get credit by giving me a positive rating before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that.
Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.
Please answer the following:
Are you employed at all?
Is there any other US citizen or permanent resident who is willing to act as a joint sponsor?