Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Yes they are already here from 90 days and Canadian citizens…

Customer Question
Yes they are already here...
Yes they are already here from 90 days and Canadian citizens don't need visa to cross border but yes entry can be denied for any reason. If i apply from here: 1)What should be the approximate time to get the green card? 2) Can they go to canada and come
back 3) Canadaian citizen can stay 6 months without any problem, so if i apply from here can they stay here until decision is made?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/20/2015
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
1)What should be the approximate time to get the green card?
It takes approx 6 months from date of filing for interview at local USCIS field office.
It takes as per prior question up to 90 days for them to get their work permit and permission to travel.
2) Can they go to canada and come back
The cannot depart the US until they get their advance parole document or they abandon their adjustment of status application and have to do consular processing. Re-entry is discretionary.
3) Canadaian citizen can stay 6 months without any problem, so if i apply from here can they stay here until decision is made?
Yes, I noted in my previous answer they were visa exempt status.
Absolutely, after the adjustment of status is filed they can remain in the US until a decision is made. They do not accrue any unlawful presence or out of status time.
Judith
Was my answer unhelpful and unsatisfactory? What can I do to improve it?
I tried very hard to give you excellent customer service.
Judith
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer