How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28862
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

US citizen's mother who entered US legally but has pending

Customer Question

US citizen's mother who entered US legally but has pending asylum case can be sponsored by son for green card?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.
Is the son a US citizen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
US citizen's mother has pending asylum case. Though entered US legally. Can she withdraw her asylum case and be sponsored by son for green card, as it is quicker than waiting for asylum decision which takes forever?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes son became citizen while mother was waiting for asylum interview
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.
Definitely the son can file the I-130 for the mother and the mother may apply for adjustment of status.There is no prohibition from her being eligible for 245a adjustment of status as the immediate relative of a US citizen. Even if she has been in the US beyond her authorized stay she is still eligible for adjustment as the parent of an adult US citizen.This is the best option for her.I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.Judith
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And the fact that she has pending asylum case won't hurt her adjustment of status?
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.
No it will not harm her adjustment of status. She can withdraw the asylum claim at her adjustment.Judith

Related Immigration Law Questions