How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3941
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is***** am on J1 Visa. it is expiring

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** am on J1 Visa. it is expiring on 25 of this month. I have found a employer who is giving me H1B, and he is telling me that he will apply for H1B after my J1 expiry. Is it possible to apply for H1b after J1 or DS 2019 expired.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions. I have 34 years experience as a licensed immigration attorney.
No, unlike the F1, the J1 has only a 30 day grace period and you cannot file for your change of status during the grace period.
In addition if you were on a J1 for a medical training program then you need a waiver of the 2 year home residency rule.
You can only get that working in a HPSA or MUA and have to get the state to recommend the waiver.
Have you done any of the Conrad 30 waiver process with the State Dept of Health?
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.
I put a lot of time and effort in giving you an honest answer. Was it not helpful despite being honest and perhaps not to your liking. As a physician I am sure you have to give unpleasant news to many of your patients parents, has it no value because it is not what they want to hear?

Related Immigration Law Questions