Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

What can you do if your green card is mailed to your previous…

Customer Question
What can you do if...
What can you do if your green card is mailed to your previous address by USPS by mistake from their side since you have changed the address online and then the landlord shred the green card?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/17/2015
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 3 years ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.
What a jerk! Can you prove he shredded it? Why would he do that? And you have proof that USCIS received an AR-11 well before your green card was issued?
I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.
If it was a mistake on USCIS’s part and you can prove that they received the AR-11 before they sent out the green card, you should fill out a form I-90 and provide that evidence that you filed the AR-11 before they sent out the card. You don’t send a fee with the I-90. If all goes well, you should get your green card in the mail 4 or 5 months later (after taking fingerprints again). As to the former landlord, if you can prove that he shredded it and that it has caused you money damages, you should be able to sue him for those damages. Here is the link to the I-90:
http://www.uscis.gov/i-90
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.