Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

In brief i was denied entry to the USA because I had the wrong

Customer Question
Visa. I had a tourist...
In brief i was denied entry to the USA because I had the wrong Visa. I had a tourist Visa when i should of had a Business visa. Now due to being permanently exempt from applying for visa waivers program i would like to sort the best course of action to get a B1 visa as my boss wants me back over as soon as possible, any implications that may arise due to my previous and time frames for when visas will be processed
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/17/2015
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.
What does your boss need you to do in the U.S.? Who will be paying you?
I will be Paid by the UK office, the work i will be doing is attending trade shows, overseeing how production of our machines works, visiting schools and clubs with my US counterpart (we sell sports equipment)
Ok, so why wouldn't you just apply for a B-1 visa? Were you excluded from the U.S. because you had an ESTA?
I don't know that i'm afraid, what is an ESTA? I got to Boston, asked a question by the immigration officer about what work i was doing, i said manual labour (which was incorrect, but i didnt know fully what i was doing at that point), then they put me aside, interrogated me for a few hours and sent me home because the information i gave them led them to believe i was taking a Job that a US citizen could do
ESTA is the Visa Waiver. So you have an ESTA Visa Waiver or you had a B-2? When they sent you back home, did they allow you to withdraw your request to enter or did they give you a 5 year penalty due to the exclusion?
ok, no i wasnt given a ban, how does the application process work? i can see it being like when i was sent back and i don't plan on being in such a situation where i have no idea what to say
and i had a visa waiver
That's very good. That means that you do not have an automatic penalty to get the B-1 visa. Here is a link on how to do it in the UK:
http://london.usembassy.gov/niv/b1apply.html
I will also provide you with two links that may be helpful. The first is to an article that will explain what they look for when issuing a non-immigrant visa like the B-1. The second is a list of things that can be presented to prove non-immigrant intent and the strong ties to the home country.
http://www.ilw.com/articles/2009,0528-schwartz.shtm
https://help.cbp.gov/ci/fattach/get/46680/0/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzk3NDE3MzcxL3NpZC85M1BEQ0lSbA==/filename/Intentions+and+Ties.pdf
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.