Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

There I have been left some gold it's in ghana and i need…

Customer Question
Hi There I have been left...
Hi There
I have been left some gold it's in ghana and i need to ship it the the uk what do i need to do
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/16/2015
Immigration Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with this question.
People who ask a question like this -- and we get several every day on this website -- are the unknowing target of an advance fee fraud. Ghana may be a tiny country but when it comes to the amount of internet scams they perpetrate, they are way up there with Nigeria at the very top of the heap.
There are two variations of this. Neither is the truth. The first involves an internet romance who claims to have her inheritance waiting for her in a Ghanainan security center. She can only collect it if she's going to be married to a good man, and, tag, you are "it." She will claim to have transferred the gold into your name and send you (phony) documents to that effect. As her so-called fiancé, you get to pay so called barristers and bankers thousands of pounds to clear her funds so that you can collect the inheritance. It doesn't exist, however, so it never comes.
The second variation is just a regular inheritance scam. The "same surname inheritance scam" has been going on for generations. It is one of the oldest of the West African frauds and precedes the advent of the internet. The Nigerians invented it, the Ghanaians and other high scam countries adopted it, and it's as successful now as it was then.
Scammers make countless phone calls and/or send thousands of emails and letters out every day in the hope that they find someone who believes he may actually have a missing wealthy relative somewhere and who will take the bait.
If you receive such a message and follow it up you will be told that the money is yours but that you will first have to lay out money reason or another to collect your inheritance. That's the #1 sign of an inheritance fraud. If you pay the first fee, there will be another, and then another and then another. We see people here who have spent tens of thousands of dollars on phony legal and other sort of phony bank fees to get an inheritance that doesn't even really exist.
The scam comes complete with a phony lawyer and/or accountant and/or banker and with photoshopped documents. But all the scammer is doing is looking to steal your money. There is no inheritance and this is simply not how getting an inheritance really works. The estate itself would take care of the distribution to the heirs and all of the expenses. You wouldn't be required to do or pay for a thing.
Any time someone you don't know or some company you have never dealt with contacts you out of the blue to tell you that you have come into a windfall beyond your imagination, but that first you have to pay money out and/or reveal unnecessary sensitive personal information in order to collect it, it's a scam.
The scammers are just hoping to dazzle you with thoughts of the millions in gold which will be coming your way so that you will wire them all of your money.
You can read the history of this scam on Snopes.com.
http://www.snopes.com/fraud/advancefee/inherit.asp
If you're not convinced, please give me the name of the so-called barrister in Ghana who is handling the estate. I'd also be happy to look over any documents you wish to upload with your reply.