How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 102380
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am Lebanese-Armenian, I am born in Lebanon, but my

Customer Question

I am Lebanese-Armenian, I am born in Lebanon, but my grandmother (mother's mom), she is American citizen for over 25 years, the story is a bit long, but I am going to make it short as possible.
My grandmother has 5 children all are females, my mom she is the youngest one, but another family adopted her when she was new born, now the other 4 sisters, told my mom that they are sisters, and she was adopted.
We cannot show any legal documents that she was adopted, because they weren't any serious legal laws at that time, is it possible to do a DNA test, and have the test result as a proof, following this will there be any chance for me to get American citizenship, because of my grandma being citizen of USA for over 25 years.
Your reply will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize. Thanks in advance for not "shooting the messenger."
I am sorry, but no, this is not possible.
Well, a DNA test can be done, of course. However, one cannot get US citizenship (or rather, lawful permanent residency, otherwise known as a greencard; citizenship comes later) based on one's GRANDPARENT(s) being citizen(s).
It has to be one's parents who are US citizens or lawful permanent residents, or, one has to have siblings who are US citizens.
However, having a grandparent who may have been a US citizen is simply not enough to claim citizenship or lawful permanent residency. I am sorry.
Now if you have any close family in USA, let me know, and I can perhaps tell you whether you can do anything due to your ties to them.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Ely,Actually my grandma gave her last child(my mom) to her brother, bcz they werent able to have kids.As for siblings, I have my father's sister US citizen, my mom's "sisters" considered as cousins, is there any possibilty or can you advise me the right way to approach this matter!One other question, you mentioned by one parents should be US citizen, how about if my mom proves her biological mother is US citizen, can my mom get the citizenship throught the facts i mentioned in my original question, and can i get mine later when my mom already a citizen os US.Thank you.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
1) What year was your mother born?
2) What do you mean "given" - as in formally adopted? What does her birth certificate say - who is on the birth certificate as her mother? As her father? Is there a formal record of the adoption?
3) What year were you born?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1) My mother's birth date 6-NOV-1963.2) My Mother was adopted by the brother of her biological Mother.There isn't any formal adoption certificate, because it was done within the family.On birth certificate, father is (brother of my mom's biological mother), Biological mother's name is ***** *****3) My birth date is 3-MAR-1988.Note: last year my mother was invited to US, by her cousins ( 5 biological sisters ), when my mom arrived to states, they revealed the adoption news, which was kept secret all these years.Question: For instance there is no way to apply for citizenship through her biological mother being citizen of US since 1980.Is there any other way, cousins or sisters which are US citizens, for example my Father's sister is US citizen since 1985, to make an invitation so that we can move to states legally, and get our greencards.Hopefully i made it clear.Thanks in advance.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
Formally then, the mother's family would be seen likely as:
If the person was born between 12/24/52 and prior to 11/14/86 to a MARRIED couple, then to get US Citizenship, BOTH parents would have to have been citizens, and one would have had to reside in the USA for some time (meaning your uncle or your mother or your biological father). This is not the case here, is it? If not, then this variant is not possible.
There are a few other ways to formulate this, but in neither does it come out to being able to claim citizenship, I believe. See the following links please and review them carefully:
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Related Immigration Law Questions