Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a resident , have a fiancé living in India,

Customer Question
Hello I am a resident...
Hello
I am a resident , have a fiancé living in India, we are planning to get married in October, but I would like to know what is the faster and easy way for me to apply for his permanent resident, thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/12/2015
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 2 years ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney
Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is***** I am a licensed attorney and I am here to help resolve your legal issue. Tackling legal issues can sometimes get cumbersome or confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! You are NOT charged per question and you are NOT charged per response, so post at your desire! Just please remember that sometimes the law does not have an easy or convenient solution and that is not the fault of the expert. Please do not shoot the messenger.
Unfortunately, there is no fast and easy way. It's going to take around 2 years or so and there is no way to speed that up and he cannot come to the U.S. on the tourist visa and then stay waiting for those 2 years to go by. This is because you are only a Resident. This is why people always talk about marrying a U.S. Citizen. They never talk about marrying a Resident because it takes so long to get Residency through a Resident. How long have you been a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident? How did you get Residency?
That didn't mean that you shouldn't respond to me. I need more information from you to look for alternatives. How long have you been a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident? How did you get Residency? Also, what level of education does he have? Does he own a business outside of the U.S. or work for a company that could transfer him to the U.S.? Or does he have money to invest? How much?
I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.
If you become a U.S. Citizen, the process will take about 9 months or so. As a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident, the process can take 2 to 3 years or so. Unfortunately, there are a limited amount of immigrant visas in that category and too many people that apply each year. This causes a waiting line of people that have applied before you and nothing in the law allows for anyone to jump ahead of anyone else, not even in an emergency. Here is a link to the process:
http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/family/family-preference.html
Of course, you have to marry because there is no fiancé visa for U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.