How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28815
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend is from Mexico. He is a student, who has a solid

Customer Question

My boyfriend is from Mexico. He is a student, who has a solid travel history on both a J-1 Student Internship visa and a regular tourist visa. He is currently here legally on his J-1 Visa completing a graduate internship. We want to help his mother obtain a tourist visa to visit the USA. His mother is a dance instructor who gets paid in mostly cash, and therefore has no bank accounts. Due to a divorce, her home and car is not listed in her name. We feel like this may be difficult to explain during a visa interview to obtain a tourist visa. Would her son's travel history help her in this process? If not, I would be willing to sponsor her with form I-134 Affidavit of Support. Would using this form be relevant in this situation, or even help her obtain the Tourist Visa? I know the family very well and would have no reservations about providing my personal information with them that goes along with this. Need some guidance please!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
- Also, I should mention that I am a native US Citizen. I would be the one sponsoring her on the I-134.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
-The only provable asset she has are her children: 2 sons who both have Tourist Visas, J-1 visas and a clean travel history, a daughter with a J-1 visa currently enrolled in University, and a teenage son enrolled in High School.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
-To be more specific, we would like to obtain a B-2 Tourist Visa (Border Crossing Card) for her to be able to come here more than one time.
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions. I have 34 years experience as a licensed immigration attorney.
Where does the teen ager to to achooL in the US on a n F1?
What are her living arrangements even if it isn't in her name?
Does she have a divorce decree which shows the property division?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Judith!
- The teenager attends school in Mexico. He does not have a visa and has not been to the USA.
- She lives in the home of a friend.
- There is no divorce paperwork.It seems like aside from her sons she may have a difficult time explaining this in a Visa interview. Is that a fair assumption? Would the I-134 from me help her in this issue?
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.
Apologies for the delay.
Yes it is a fair assumption.
She has no compelling ties really other than the minor child. The adult children are not in Mexico but here on temporary visas and that does not draw her back to Mexico.
She has no residence she rents and is not obligated on a lease; she has no job (other than her instruction which she does not claim).
Obviously she has no financial ties because she has not income or investments.
She would be a very poor risk in the eyes of the consul.
That is not to say she couldn't apply and certainly would need an I-134 from you because she cannot prove she has the financial means to support her stay here.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained if she does not apply so she may as well try if you are willing and she has the visa application fee.
I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Related Immigration Law Questions