Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

My H1B Maxout date is Jan 2016 with no GC on the table

Customer Question

My H1B Maxout date is Jan 2016 with no GC on the table at the moment. I have positioned myself to transfer to an affiliate outside the US, leaving Oct 2015. I was trying to figure out the following:
1) Do I need to remain outside the US completely for 1 year, i.e. no visit visa etc as of Jan 2016 or Oct 2015 to allow for the cool-off period?
2) If I work for this affiliate for a year, can I apply for my L1 (easier to apply and not subject to H1B maxout) as of Jan 2017?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the attorney helping you today.
Below are your answers.
Yes, unfortunately you have to stay out of the US completely for one year.
Yes, if you stay out one year completely you would be eligible to apply for the L1 one year after you left.
Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!
Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing the Happy faces. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .
Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.
If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification instead of leaving a negative rating. A negative rating does not help you or me. Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.
Hello- I see you were able to view my answers. Did you have any follow up questions I can help with?
Thanks.