How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28811
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am looking about marriage between a US and

Customer Question

I am looking for information about marriage between a US and Mexican Citizen
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions. I have 34 years experience as a licensed immigration attorney.
I can help you with that. What information do you want? Is this about bringing them to the US?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just do not know the process. I am US Citizen and my fiance is a Mexican Citizen. I live in Texas. She is here in the U.S. on a student visa and she also has a tourist visa. We want to get married first is the U.S. (we want to run off to Vegas) We are planning to stay in the U.S. after the marriage. What is the process?
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.
Wonderful and congratulations!
She shouldn't leave the Us until after she gets permission with an advance parole document which you request when you file all the forms. That takes 909-120 days.
So go off to Vegas and have a wedding and then file everything and wait.
Here is what you will need: Find instructions for each here:
I-130 Immigrant Petition (signed by US citizen spouse)
I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status (signed by alien)
I-765 Employment Authorization Application (signed by alien)
I-131 Application for Travel Document (signed by alien- this document permits alien to travel during the pendency of their "green card" case)
G-325A Biographic Sheet (one for alien and one for their spouse)
A medical examination in a sealed envelope performed by a civil surgeon (find one here:
I-864 Affidavit of Support
Two passport sized photos of spouse
Six passport size photos of alien
Copy of alien’s passport including all blank pages and I-94
Copy of US citizen birth certificate, natz cert or passport
Copy of spouse's birth certificate
Copy of any divorce decrees
Copy of marriage certificate
One check for the I-130 in the amount of $420
One check for the I-485/765/131 in the amount of $1,070
The packet get filed at the PO box on Page 6 of the instructions
You can read about the process at this site
Conditional Resident status is granted for 2 years. You and your spouse have to file a joint petition to remove this conditional status within 90 days of the 2nd anniversary date of the adjustment approval.
I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What are the reasons for her not being able to leave the U.S.?
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.
She would be considered to:
1. Be an intending immigrant once she marries a US citizen. Both the F1 student visa and the B2 visitor visa requires an intent to return to Mexico after her period of stay that is authorized. At the port of entry they can tur her away and cancel her visa based on the presumption if she is married ot you she will not leave.
2. If you marry in Vegas and file and then she files the adjustment of status she abandons the application by departing the US if she has not been given advance parole.
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.
Did I miss the mark or was my information helpful?
This is a very complex process. I can offer you two different additional services combined into one which would save you thousands which an attorney would charge.
As additional services I can have you scan or save to google drive all your forms and documents and send them to me for review after you have completed them, I would review for completeness and accuracy, I would review supporting documents for correctness; we then have a telecon about the filing and what steps to expect and how to prepare for the interview.
While you are completing the forms you should buy a subscription service and ask a new question thread for each separate question, for examply, new question thread for I-130; new thread for I-485; new thread for I-131; new thread for I-184; new thread forI-765.; G-325A.
You build up a easily accessable library you can return to to verify forms are correct. Subscription is one set price for a certain number of questions. More economical.
Then send to me to review. I've done hundreds of these,,maybe thousands in 35 years. You can google me to read reviews of me at AVVO and my website.
Judith Ludwic

Related Immigration Law Questions