Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

First a little bit about my background. I'm naturilized

Customer Question
hello, first a little bit about...
hello,
first a little bit about my background. I'm naturilized French citizen born in Vietnam. My wife is vietnamese. our 2 babies daughters are US citizen. I've been working in USA between 1999 to 2003 under 1 L1 and H1b. I'm back to usa and still live in USA since 2008 under a L1 and 3 h1b. I filled for the green card last year and got denied due to the education paper. I refill the paper last month and my h1b expire in August 2015. So if the green card arrives, blue sky, end of the story. The question I have is about options. 1- what if the company fire me before I got the green card. what are my options to stay. 2- what if I leave the company before getting the green card and another company sponsor me? is it possible? 3- what if I got denied and the company let me go? my current lwyer office is working for the company so I can't disclose the options.
thank you for your advises
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/8/2015
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. And you are the only person who can help me get credit by giving me a positive rating before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that.
Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.
QUESTION 1: what if the company fire me before I got the green card. what are my options to stay.
ANSWER: If your H1B is still valid, you can stay until it expires or file an extension based on the approved I-140 (as long as it is still valid). What happens depends on why you are denied.
If the I-140 is no longer valid for some reason, then you cannot apply for an extension past 6 years on L1/H1B. But you can apply for a change of status from H1B to F1 student or some other visa type.
QUESTION 2: what if I leave the company before getting the green card and another company sponsor me? is it possible?
ANSWER: Yes. But they have to start the whole process for you from the beginning. You can port the priority date though.
QUESTION 3: what if I got denied and the company let me go? my current lawyer office is working for the company so I can't disclose the options.
ANSWER: The I-140 if for a future job offer. So even if they let you go, you can have another company sponsor you for a green card and keep the priority date for the original I-140.
I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to talk on the phone for a fee, I can send you an offer for that.
I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. This is very important. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.
REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.
Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.
A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.
If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.
Thank you!
Hi again,
I think we are experiencing some technical issues. I received a message that you reviewed my response and have responded. But I cannot see that response above.
Please post it again, so I can continue to help you.
Thank you!
Hello again,
I received yet another message that you've responded. Can you please try again to post your response so we can finish this question? We need to finish this question but I can't do that unless I have answered all of your questions and you've given me credit for doing my job.
Thank you!
Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer