How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4705
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are trying to help a friend immigrate permanently

Customer Question

Hello! We are trying to help a friend immigrate permanently from Brazil EB-01. He previously had an 01 Visa and has a Social Security Card. What is the most expeditious way to do this, and can he come to the US first and then file?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the attorney helping you today.
The first step in the process is to file an I-140 petition based on Extraordinary ability together with the supporting documentation.
If the person is in the US when he files this and he feels sercure that the I-140 will be approved, then he can file the I-485 at the same time as the I-140.
If they rather not take the risk, they can file the I-140 first and once approved submit the I-485.
If the person is outside the US, the person has no choice but to file the the I-140 first and then once approved, consular processing will take place and he will attend an interview in the US embassy/consulate in Brazil and they will enter the US with their green card.
He can do this as I mentioned, from inside the US, but they have to be able to get into the US. They can try to enter on a B1/b2 tourist visa if they have one, but they must be careful because a person coming on atourist visa is not supposed to be coming with intentions to stay in the US and apply for I-140 and green card. Once the person enters the US if they then decide to do these applications, that is different and that is legal. They must be prepared and understand this if they intend to try to come in to the US first and do it here. Obviously I cannot advise you to do this but I can inform you about it.
Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!
Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing the Happy faces. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .
Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.
If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification instead of leaving a negative rating. A negative rating does not help you or me. Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Related Immigration Law Questions