Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

A Polish friend of mine was just denied entry to the US because…

Customer Question
A Polish friend of mine...
A Polish friend of mine was just denied entry to the US because he had said he was volunteering on a Tourist Visa application. Does this mean he cannot try again for another year?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/4/2015
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this.
No. He can try again at any time, unless the ICE/CBP agent specifically told them that they were banned for a certain time. Assuming they did not, then:
A "ban" of several years only comes into play if the individual had overstayed a prior visa, or, has a criminal record which makes them ineligible, and which ban and for how long depends on the circumstance.
Regardless, it may be a good idea not to attempt re-entry until 6 months later unless there is a good reason to enter USA sooner.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Ely, Counselor at Law