How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28862
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am since 1 year in the USA with the L1B. I am planning to

Customer Question

I am since 1 year in the USA with the L1B. I am planning to extend my 797B next year which is valid until 2017. I just realized I lost it. So far I never needed it. Will I need it when I apply for an extension or even sooner? how can I get a duplicate and how long does it take?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions. I have 34 years experience as a licensed immigration attorney.
You lost your copy, does the employer or their attorney have their copy?
Do you have your I-94?
Was it an individual petition or blanket?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have my I94. but I lost the original I-797B Notice of Action, which is basically the work permission and was required to get my L1B Visa. I still have a copy and I am in the USA already for a year. So how much does this lost hurt me?
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.
Don't panic.
You don't need the original as long as you have a copy and your original I-94.
It is your I-94 that is your work permission, not the I-797.
A copy of the I-797 is all you need if you travel because the CBP does not rely on the paper version. They verify your petition approval in the electronic system that appears on their screen when you go through inspection.
Your employer will have a petition approval in their files which they need for your I-9 record they have to keep.
That is all they will need when they go to extend your stay.
So you can relax and not worry about the original. You don't need it for anything that the copy cannot do for you along with your original I-94.
Sleep without worry.
I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Related Immigration Law Questions