How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3963
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are parents of a USA citizen of 14 years old , living currently

Customer Question

We are parents of a USA citizen of 14 years old , living currently in Saudi Arabia and planning to leave permanently to USA with our son who will be enrolled in grade 9 .
My wife is a dentist with 20 years of experience & I am a marketing consultant with 25 years of experience in ICT .
Are we eligible to apply for a green card ? When is the best time to apply ? What is our chance to get it ? What are the procedures ?
Best Regards
Sami Sagga
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.
Hello Sami, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions. I have 34 years experience as a licensed immigration attorney.
I am pleased you found this website and will make every effort to answer all your questions. Immigration law is very complicated so please ask follow-up questions specific to your situation when I provide you general information.
There are 5 ways to come to the U.S. to live permanently. They are through family, through employment, through asylum, through investment, or through the lottery.
For family, it must be immediate family such as U.S. Citizen spouse or U.S. Citizen children over 21 in order to be able to come immediately. U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident parents or U.S. Citizen siblings, or Lawful Permanent Resident spouses can also help you, but the wait for that is about 4 to 12 years or so.
Through employment, you would have to generally prove that you would not be taking away a job from a U.S. worker and the less experience and education you have, the harder that is to do.
Through asylum, you must prove that you will be persecuted, tortured or killed if you stay in your country and that this will happen to you because of your nationality, race, religion, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group, not because you would run the same risk as anyone else in your country to fall victim to a crime or bad economic conditions.
Through investment, you are looking at generally $1,000,000.00 for a residency, or if you want a temporary visa, probably at least $100,000 or $200,000 investment to start.
So as you can see, your US citizen child cannot sponsor you until reaching the age of 21.
You say you are living in SA, but what is your country of citizenship?
Did your wife do her training in the US or do you know if she is eligible to take the US board exams for licensing?
For her to be sponsored as a dentist she must hold a US license in the state where she will work.
Have you done a job search for employment as a marketing consultant with a US company?
Asylum would be very difficult for you to claim since you have the ability to live in SA.
The investor visa option is quite possible if you have at least $500,000 to invest in a Regional Center. Some of the RCs are better investments than others because they do have profit distribution which would capitalize on our investment. Others just basically take your $500K with no rate of return.