Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Can a foreign student get a visa to study part time to get…

Customer Question
Can a foreign student get...
Can a foreign student get a visa to study part time to get a advanced degree if a local sponsor will pay the school expenses and also give accommodation and living expenses.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
5/31/2015
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions. I have 34 years experience as a licensed immigration attorney.
No, the US immigration laws require a student to study full time to maintain F1 student status.
F-1 students must maintain legal status by enrolling in a full course load every quarter.
Undergraduate students must have a minimum of 12 units every quarter.
Graduate students must have a minimum of 10 units every quarter.
Doctorate students who have advanced to candidacy only need 5 units to maintain full-time status.
I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.
Judith
May I answer anything further for you?
Was my answer helpful?
Judith