Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I'm a Portuguese resident and I want to married with U.S. resident…

Customer Question
I'm a Portuguese resident and...
I'm a Portuguese resident and I want to married with U.S. resident and like this became legal in U.S. What I need to do?thank you
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
I'm illegal I just have a tourist visa on my passaport .
5/30/2015
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions. I have 34 years experience as a licensed immigration attorney.
Did you enter legally as a tourist?
How long have you been out of status?
Judith
Yes i did , I will be here 3 years already in October
I'm living in U.S. For 3 years this October
Thank you for the additional helpful information and congratulations on finding love!
Marriage to a US citizen gives you many benefits. The immigration law makes an exception for those who apply for adjustment of status based on marriage to a USC and allow you to apply for adjustment of status even if you are out of status or have worked unlawfully.
Here is what you will need: Find instructions for each here:
http://www.uscis.gov/forms
I-130 Immigrant Petition (signed by US citizen spouse)
I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status (signed by alien)
I-765 Employment Authorization Application (signed by alien)
I-131 Application for Travel Document (signed by alien- this document permits alien to travel during the pendency of their "green card" case)
G-325A Biographic Sheet (one for alien and one for their spouse)
G-1145
A medical examination in a sealed envelope performed by a civil surgeon (find one here: https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV
I-864 Affidavit of Support
Two passport sized photos of spouse
Six passport size photos of alien
Copy of alien’s passport including all blank pages and I-94
Copy of US citizen birth certificate, natz cert or passport
Copy of spouse's birth certificate
Copy of any divorce decrees
Copy of marriage certificate
One check for the I-130 in the amount of $420
One check for the I-485/765/131 in the amount of $1,070
The packet get filed at the PO box on Page 6 of the instructions
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf
You can read about the process at this site
http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-through-family/green-card-immediate-relative-us-citizen
Conditional Resident status is granted for 2 years. You and your spouse have to file a joint petition to remove this conditional status within 90 days of the 2nd anniversary date of the adjustment approval.
http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/conditional-permanent-residence
I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.
Judith