How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12304
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hii, my name is ***** ***** I had filled my application

Customer Question

Hii, my name is ***** ***** I had filled my application for a green card through marriage and have received my interview date of 6/10/2015. My husband and I have been married for 4 years and 2 months. My problem is that my husband violated his parole and
he is in jail and will be in jail for another 3 months. What should I do now that my interview date is just a few days away? Can you advice me on which documentation I need to take to show proof that we have been married this long and are still married.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. And you are the only person who can help me get credit by giving me a positive rating before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that.
Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of your question and I will be sure to answer your questions as your personal Expert.
Were you given an option to reschedule the interview? That should be somewhere on the interview notice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I was
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but hee will be in jail for a long time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he will bee in jail for 11-23 months
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
Initially, you said he will be in jail for another 3 months.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just checked his record and it says
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
Your response was incomplete. It says what?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
11 - 23 months
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am looking to see if I have other alternatives other than reschedulling.....
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
OK, thank you. What is your current immigration status in the US?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am married to a US citizen and going through greenccard process. I have already received my work permit and travel documents , so my interview was the last step.
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
I understand that. But what about your status prior to filing? And what crime was committed to send him to jail?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was a student but my visa had expired prior to filling . He was on probation for probation foe a DUI which he violated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
and he also had child support issues
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
OK, thank you. Kindly remember to rate my customer service before leaving this site. When doing this, keep in mind that I do not make the law nor do I have any control over the outcome of this case. All I can do is provide you with a positive customer service experience, even it is not the outcome you wanted. I promise I will try to do that.
I highly recommend you get an attorney to accompany you to your interview. They should help you and your husband prepare an affidavit speaking to the bona fide, good faith basis of your marriage, as well as explaining that he is currently incarcerated. You should attend the interview with evidence of his incarceration as well. One thing to keep in mind is that you will probably have to find yourself a joint sponsor because now that your husband is in jail, his income will not be sufficient to support the I-864 affidavit of support that was filed on your behalf.
This is not impossible, but it will be an uphill battle.
I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to talk on the phone for a fee, I can send you an offer for that.
I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. This is very important. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.
REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.
Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.
A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.
If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.
Thank you!