How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4722
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been online dating a Filipina months. I just

Customer Question

I've been online dating a Filipina for seven months. I just visited her for 30 days and discovered she has a Philippine passport and she said it would allow her to travel to the US as a tourist just like I did to visit her. She has a two year old daughter. Would the daughter need a passport to come with her mother? Once here could I marry her without concern if her and/or her daughter being required to return to the Philippines?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the attorney helping you today.
Yes, unfortunately the daughter would need a passport also and she would also need to apply for a tourist visa like the mother in order to be allowed into the US.
Once she is here, yes legally you can marry her and then petition for her green card for her and her daughter. She would not be required to return to the Philippines. It is just important to keep in mind that someone coming in on a tourist visa to the US, is supposed to be coming in with intentions of only tourism. It is illegal to be entering with intentions to come and stay in the US permanently to marry a US citizen. If once she is INSIDE the US, not in the airport, she suddenly decides to get married to you and stay here , that is considered ok and legal because she didn't have the "intentions" when she actually was arriving in the US. What is important is that she cannot arrive in the US with those intentions. They could be questioned or searched to find evidence that this is their actual intention and she should be prepared for that.
Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!
Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing the Happy faces. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .
Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.
If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification instead of leaving a negative rating. A negative rating does not help you or me. Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again- just checking if you were able to read my answer?

Related Immigration Law Questions