How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11907
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is a US immigration question. I'm a Nigerian citizen

Customer Question

This is a US immigration question.
I'm a Nigerian citizen currently studying at a Caribbean Medical School. I previously attended college in the US with an F1 visa and graduated in 2011. I now have a B1/B2 visa due to expire 2016 November. As I intend to do a majority of my clinical rotations in the US starting in July, I was wondering if I will be able to do them in one go or if I am only going to be allowed in for 6 months at a time.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. And you are the only person who can help me get credit by giving me a positive rating before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of your question and I will be sure to answer your questions as your personal Expert.

No, you cannot do it all in one go. The visitor status is valid for only 6 months, and can only be extended for an additional 6 months. Then you must either change your status or leave the US.

However the visitor visa is not the appropriate visa status for a medical residency. You need to either get a J1 with the ECFMG program or an H1B visa through the residency program.

I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to talk on the phone for a fee, I can send you an offer for that.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. This is very important. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.

Hi again,

I received a message that you reviewed my response and have responded. But I cannot see that response above.

Please post it again, so I can continue to help you.

Thank you!

Related Immigration Law Questions