Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

My mother is currently in pakistan on an advance parole

Customer Question

My mother is currently in pakistan on an advance parole document. Her I 485 and I 130 were still pending when she left in march 2015. She is coming back to the USA on may 31st, next sunday. I just received welcome notice telling us that her permanent resident
status has been registered. It says we will receive the green card in 3 weeks. I wanted to ask you if she will be able to enter back into the united states on her parole document or not.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.
She will be able to board her flight with her AP document.
When she gets to the airport she should expect to be sent to secondary inspection where they will verify her adjustment of status and stamp her passport with a temporary I-551 which is evidence of her resident status for one year.
That is her proof of status until the green card arrives.
No problems, this happens a lot. It is no issue. CBP will see her adjustment approval in the electronic file when they scan the AP.
I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.
Judith
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So basically there is no reason for me to panic ? What if the green card arrives at my home before she arrives in Dallas from Pakistan on May 31st. Is the immigration officer going to create any problems over her not having her green card
There is absolutely no reason for you or her to panic.
This is very common.
If the green card arrives before May 31st you can send it to her via DHL or Fedex but I wouldn't advise it because she doesn't need it. If it gets lost or doesn't arrive on time then it will be a big mess.
She is perfectly fine to present her AP and be admitted through secondary inspection as a resident.
Judith
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had just read somewhere that if you are out of the USA on a advance parole and your I 485 get approved than you can't enter the country on AP and someone will have to get the green card to you to enter the country. Anyways, I am glad that is not the case
Thanks for your help
As I explained she will not be entering on AP. She will be sent back to secondary and be admitted as a resident and they will put the stamp in her passport for the temporary I-551 (that is the # ***** the green card).
You positive rating is appreciated.
Relax and look forward to seeing your mother soon! She will have no problems.
Judith
I have sent you an offer for additional services. Perhaps a live telephone discussion will ease your fears and you will be satisfied with my answers after we discuss in further detail.
Please check your email for the offer.
Judith