How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108681
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

While l was visiting the States on B1B2 visa, l

Customer Question

while l was visiting the States on B1B2 visa, l was given a couple of cheques by a church in US (same ethnicity as me) as donation/gift to help me with my travel expenses, l was traveling for my medical residency interviews at that time. l cashed the cheques using my SSN that was issued on one of my previous travels to US. Is that considered to be violation of the B1B2 visa regulations?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! Thank you for requesting me. I am a licensed attorney and I am here to help resolve your legal issue. Tackling legal issues can sometimes get cumbersome or confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! You are NOT charged per question and you are NOT charged per response, so post at your desire! Just please remember that sometimes the law does not have an easy or convenient solution and that is not the fault of the expert. Please do not shoot the messenger.
What was the reason or reasons that you were given the checks? What activities were you doing in the U.S. during your stay?
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I notice that you have two accounts. I will close this one and ask the administrators to give you a refund here and we will continue with your other account.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
During that time l was doing observership/shadowing in a university hospital, volunteering on a research project, as well as traveling for my residency interviews. That church is built and supported by a small community of same ethnicity as me, l went there to the Sunday service and introduced my self shortly after my arrival, the community and the church representatives made a decision latter to support my career goals by sponsoring my travel expenses for the interviews.The checks were given as a gift.
Expert:  russell-cssm replied 2 years ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. ( Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Please check your other account. Thank you.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Since you had posted two questions using two accounts, I wanted to make sure that you did not get charged twice for the same thing. What you need to tell the church to do is make sure that those checks are reflected by their accountant as a gift. It cannot be reflected as payment for any services or anything like that. You should do the same if you ever need to report the income either in the U.S. or in your country. They need to be reflected as gifts. The idea is that you not work in the U.S. or be compensated in any way for activities that you do in the U.S. So this is why it is very important that these checks be reflected as a gift from both your side and their side. Also, you may look at this link to see what permissible things you can do in the U.S. on a B visa:
You may have to prove that you never worked or did anything that could be see as compensatable for the church.
Now that I have given you an answer, you may rate me positively OR ask for additional information. Please do not rate me negatively for bad news or things that you may already know. That does not help you or me. I am here to help you and I am on your side. Give me a chance to help you. All you have to do is respond asking for additional information. You are NOT charged per question nor are you charged per response. If this seems a little complicated or overwhelming, I can also offer you an additional service for a small fee where we can speak in private over the phone or through email that may be helpful (this is a public forum where anyone can read the responses). Feel free to decline it, but if you do, please remember that I am not given a salary, so the only way that I am compensated is if you rate me positively. So at least please use the smiley faces and a bonus is always appreciated if you feel I earned it. Also, your question does NOT close just because it says, "To finish". I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If I do not hear from you, I will automatically send that additional offer request. Thank you for your understanding and if you would like to request me in the future, just type: FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.

Related Immigration Law Questions