Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I was naturalized US citizen yesterday. My daughter

Customer Question
Hello, I was naturalized US citizen...
I was naturalized US citizen yesterday. My daughter (15 years) still has a green card. Well, my understanding of the law is that she turned US citizen yesterday as I did, so her green card is probably invalid now.
Anyway, I want to get her a certificate of citizenship. I am in the process of filling the USCIS form N-600 for her but I have a few questions.
1) Question 16. "Information about admission into the United States and current immigration status" A. "I arrived in the following manner"
Then they ask for the port of entry and date of entry.
1.1) Ok, we travel quite a bit so... is that the last entry? the first entry in the US? The first entry as a Green Card holder?
1.2) Is there a document (other than the passport) that would show this information? My concern is that it's very difficult from the passport stamp to guess what is the port of entry. Only the date is usually legible.
1.3) If I cannot find this information, I was thinking of asking the immigration lawyers who took care of my files to provide me with a copy of my file... Is that doable? Would you have any other idea to try to get this information?
2) question 16 C "USCIS office that granted my permanent resident status or location where I was admitted". Again, how do I know how to answer this question? This is old story and I don't really remember who sent me my green card! Is this information available somewhere?
Thank you by advance for your help!
Best regards,
Francois Besnier
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
5/16/2015
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is***** I am a licensed attorney and I am here to help resolve your legal issue. Tackling legal issues can sometimes get cumbersome or confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! You are NOT charged per question and you are NOT charged per response, so post at your desire! Just please remember that sometimes the law does not have an easy or convenient solution and that is not the fault of the expert. Please do not shoot the messenger.
The green card is not invalid, but by operation of law, she is a U.S. Citizen and just needs the certificate to prove it and that is what the N-600 is for.
As to your questions:
They want to know about the last entry. The last entry should have been another admission as an LPR. Each time one enters using a green card, they are asking to be admitted again as an LPR.
Remember where one entered is usually easy. It's the date that is hard. You can try here to get more information:
http://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/spotlights/2014-04-30-000000/arrivaldeparture-history-now-available-i-94-webpage
That won't really help because USCIS wants to know about the last admission.
If you Adjusted Status, meaning that you filed an I-485 inside of the U.S., it is the place that you had the interview. If you got an immigrant visa outside of the U.S. and did not do an interview in the U.S. and you just got a green card in the mail a few weeks after entry, then it is that place that you entered the U.S. on that immigrant visa. If you cannot seem to find it or remember, you can file a G-639 Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) request and get a complete copy of your immigration file which should include the information that you seek. It is free but may take 2 to 3 months or more to process. Here is a link:
http://www.uscis.gov/g-639
Now that I have given you an answer, you may rate me positively OR ask for additional information. Please do not rate me negatively for bad news or things that you may already know. That does not help you or me. I am here to help you and I am on your side. Give me a chance to help you. All you have to do is respond asking for additional information. You are NOT charged per question nor are you charged per response. If this seems a little complicated or overwhelming, I can also offer you an additional service for a small fee where we can speak in private over the phone or through email that may be helpful (this is a public forum where anyone can read the responses). Feel free to decline it, but if you do, please remember that I am not given a salary, so the only way that I am compensated is if you rate me positively. So at least please use the smiley faces and a bonus is always appreciated if you feel I earned it. Also, your question does NOT close just because it says, "To finish". I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If I do not hear from you, I will automatically send that additional offer request. Thank you for your understanding and if you would like to request me in the future, just type: FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box.
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.