How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 102491
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am moving to the USA with my family, one resident,

Customer Question

Hello, I am moving to the USA with my family, one resident, one L1 visa holder, and two american Kids. We used to live in New York and now we are coming back from Colombia where we lived for 4 years. My question is, can I take my maid and her daughter with me, to keep working for us while we are in the US (we are moving with an ex-pat package for three years). They are both Cololmbian citizens and are 53 and 16 years old.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
1) It is not very easy to get a visa for employment with intent to live in USA, since most employment visas (there is a number) is limited to very demanding and high tech specialties, and/or, nuanced positions. The employer would have to prove that there is no one else in USA capable of doing this job. Generally speaking, there is simply no permanent visa for a maid position (and as such, no derivative for her daughter).
She can however request a B1 visa, which is a temporary business visa. See here. However, this would be at the discretion of the US Consulate/Embassy in Columbia. Her daughter may or may not qualify for a derivative visa, also at discretion of the US Consulate/Embassy.
NOTE that if you are coming to live here permanently, her visa is likely then going to be denied, because there would be a fear that she would attempt to overstay her temporary visa.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.