How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109310
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Goal: Convert my girlfriend's 2 year conditional greencard

Customer Question

Goal: Convert my girlfriend's 2 year conditional greencard to permanent 10 year greencard
Short backstory:
She had a B1/B2 5 year Visa, but got that changed to a 2 year Greencard when she got married to her now-ex. The marriage failed due to her ex's mental issues, drug abuse, and her being in fear of her life(at one point he put a loaded gun on the bed and was screaming at her to shoot him). She had to get out of that relationship. They have no children together. The marital home was in Georgia and she now lives in Illinois.
The divorce was filed over a year ago and signed by both but she was just contacted a few days ago from her lawyer saying it is now official and the divorce decree is being mailed out.
She has been working steadily her entire time being in the country and we now live together. She has no criminal record of any kind. Her current green card expires Jan '16 but we would like to get this process going now.
We have looked at the I-751 petition and it seems like a pretty straight-forward form. The areas I would like to discuss are the five checkboxes(1c - 1g) in the 'Waiver Request Filing' section. I believe she is able to check d/e/g, but would like council before proceeding.
Aside from form I-751, is there anything else we should know or other paperwork we need? Is there any reason we shouldn't just send this in ourselves or do we require a lawyer before proceeding? I can provide more details if needed.
Thank you very much for your time and advice.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is***** I am a licensed attorney and I am here to help resolve your legal issue. Tackling legal issues can sometimes get cumbersome or confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! You are NOT charged per question and you are NOT charged per response, so post at your desire! Just please remember that sometimes the law does not have an easy or convenient solution and that is not the fault of the expert. Please do not shoot the messenger.
She will have to file an I-751 in waiver form. Here is some information on that:
Focus on where it says, "If your marriage was terminated other than by the death of your spouse, you must submit the following:"
She will need to submit evidence similar to the evidence that you submitted at your marriage interview. She must prove that even though you divorced, your marriage was not entered into solely for the purpose of obtaining an immigration benefit.
Here is a list of things that I like to give my clients and I know that she may not have all of these things, but the more she has, the better it is.
A letter where she describes, in a very detailed fashion, the circumstances in which she met her spouse, the reasons she married, and the feelings and emotions that she had or still has towards him, and why.
If they have a child or children together, the birth certificate for each child.
Wedding pictures and pictures of other moments when she and her spouse, and other members of each family and friends have been together.
Very detailed letters from people who know them and who are witnesses that their marriage was valid, who were at their wedding, or who knew them as a married couple.
Love letters or cards that they received from their spouse while in the relationship.
Letters from people addressed to both of them, or in which the person who wrote the letter refers to both them as a couple.
Any types of documents that have both their names on them that show that they bought a car, a house, furniture, or anything else together.
Any rental or lease agreements for their home or apartment with both of their names on it or a letter from the building manager or owner proving that they lived together.
Bank or financial statements that show that both had or have a savings or checking account together.
Any insurance documents that show that they were or still are covered by their insurance plan, or that his plan covers or covered her.
Bills, such as electricity, water, heat, cable TV, phone, or others that show both their names.
Jointly-filed Income tax papers (both their names).
An identification card that shows that his spouse's was using his last name.
Membership cards for video clubs, grocery stores or similar businesses, that show joint membership.
Any other documents.
As to what she should check it says to check all that apply, so I would definitely check 1.d and if she can prove physical abuse or extreme mental cruelty, I would also mark 1.e. Proof of extreme mental cruelty would normally need to be backed up with physiologist or psychiatric or therapist reports.
Now that I have given you an answer, you may rate me positively OR ask for additional information. Please do not rate me negatively for bad news or things that you may already know. That does not help you or me. I am here to help you and I am on your side. Give me a chance to help you. All you have to do is respond asking for additional information. You are NOT charged per question nor are you charged per response. If this seems a little complicated or overwhelming, I can also offer you an additional service for a small fee where we can speak in private over the phone or through email that may be helpful (this is a public forum where anyone can read the responses). Feel free to decline it, but if you do, please remember that I am not given a salary, so the only way that I am compensated is if you rate me positively. So at least please use the smiley faces and a bonus is always appreciated if you feel I earned it. Also, your question does NOT close just because it says, "To finish". I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If I do not hear from you, I will automatically send that additional offer request. Thank you for your understanding and if you would like to request me in the future, just type: FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.