How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12197
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife was brought here illegally from Colombia by her parents as a minor under a false a

Customer Question

My wife was brought here illegally from Colombia by her parents as a minor under a false alias and fraudulent VISA over 18 years ago (So she never had any type of legal status).
Since then, while she never left US soil, she was able to return to using her original birth name, obtain an ITIN to pay taxes, a cosmotology license to work, and had one daughter born here (now 11) with her ex-husband. Then we met eachother this last year after each of us had gone through a our separate divorces and got married (legally) this year (2015) in the state of Texas. I am a retired US Veteran.
We're married legally by the state of Texas, but she's still undocumented. What steps do I need to take so that I can help her to finally get a driver's license and papers to at least work legally in the U.S. (without having to completely uproot the established life of our US born daughter)?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. First, some administrative things to keep in mind as we are working together. I do not get a salary, so the only thing I ask is that you rate my customer service when we are finished. This is the only way I am compensated for my efforts to help you today. Keep in mind that you are not rating the outcome of your question or the state of the law. I have no control over that; your rating should not be based on those things. I see that this may be the first time you are using this service. If you have any questions about how this process works or how to help me get credit for assisting you today, please feel free to ask. I would rather explain it to you than lose out on the credit for my efforts. Also, when you have new questions in the future, make sure to put “FOR JAMES" in your question and the subject line. That way I become your personal Expert.Technically, she was not paroled or admitted into the US because of the use of her false documents. Therefore, under most circumstances, someone in her position would have to leave the US and come back legally, in order to continue to live in the US and work. However because she is married to a US armed forces veteran, she may be able to overcome that problem.The best option for her is to go through the process referred to as parole in place, and if successful, to apply for marriage based adjustment of status to permanent resident. Parole in place is offered to family members of the US military active duty and vets. If she can successfully be granted parole in place, you can start the marriage based immigration process to help her get a green card. Here is excellent information on the adjustment of status to permanent resident (green card) based on parole in place: Look it over. If you have any questions, you are free to come back and ask for clarification. I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to discuss this or anything else by phone, I can send you an offer for that. There will be an additional fee, if you want to do that. Please let me know and I will send you the offer. I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, this is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you. REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger. Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you. A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it. If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category. Thank you!
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.

I received a message that you reviewed my response and have responded. But I cannot see that response above.

Please try to post it again, so I can continue to help you and we can close this question.

Thank you!