How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3963
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hey im a citizen of US now.. But when i first imigrated to

Customer Question

Hey im a citizen of US now.. But when i first imigrated to US from India mY name was "Vishaal Manuel" which also is what printed on my indian pasport and US visa then. As i applied for green card I gave my family name "Chemparathy" as my last name, as i didnt know then that was going to be considered as my last name. It was a bit confusing for me because in prenthesis for last name it asked me to put my family name so was the reason for me to give "chemparathy". So when i received my green card my name got changed to Vishaal Manuel Chemparathy. I didn't bother to change it because afterall it was my family name. But after i became citizen of US now when i try to apply for OCI visa (more like dual citizenship for overseas citizen of India) to travel to india indian govt doesnt see me as the same person and i dont have anything show them as proof. Hat am I supposed to do in th case please help!!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am James, and I will be helping you today. All I ask is that you give me a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job.
So what is your name according to India? And do they accept US court orders to show name changes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My indian name is "vishaal Manuel" and yes they do accept court orders but i dont want to change my name back to " vishaal Manuel" instead i would like to keep " Vishaal Manuel Chemparathy"
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
And you have checked that they will not use a paper trail to determine you are one and the same individual? Can you do a legal name change in India?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No paper trial wont help. And to have my name changed in india i have to be in India without a visa that wont happen. Can i get a court order saying that my name was changed during the greencard process from Vishaal Manuel to Vishaal manuel Chemparathy or stating that im the same
Person? If so how hard it is going to be and the time it can take to get such a court order?
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, I have no idea whether India would honor such an order. But any such court order would not be through immigration so I will change the question category to general legal category.