How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28944
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am naturalized US citizen, my son is a green card holder.

This answer was rated:

I am naturalized US citizen, my son is a green card holder. He has left US in June 2010 for family reasons.He has not applied for re-entry permit. Is there any way to re-instate his green card? Thank you.

Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

Has his card expired?

Why did he leave in 2010?

How long was he a resident prior to departing?



Customer: replied 3 years ago.

His card has not expired, yet. He left for business reasons as he had business in Slovakia and here. Conditions here has deteriorated businesswise and he wanted to save his business in Slovakia. He was resident for 2 years.


He can use his unexpired card to board a flight back to the US.

When he arrives they will put him into secondary inspection processing at which time he should request a hearing before an immigration judge.

The judge will decide whether he has abandoned his status based on the evidence of his continuing ties to the US and on whether his absence was brief, innocent and casual.

It is unlikely for a judge to find in his favor but as soon as he enters you can file a petition for him to begin the process and establish a priority date.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Judith, what exactly the last sentence mean? Pleas, give more details.

brief, innocent, casual?



Customer: replied 3 years ago.

"It is unlikely for judge to find in his favor but as soon as he enters you can file a petition for him to begin the process ans establish a priority day" What that means?

The judge will most likely find that he abandoned his resident status because he was gone for 3 years and he was engaged in employment running his business abroad. He would be able to ask for voluntary departure to return back home.

But if you file the I-130 petition for him as soon as he gets here, it will establish a priority date. It will take about 6-7 years for a visa number to become available to him so some of that time he will have here waiting for his hearing.

The rest of the time he will have to return home and wait out.

Please let me know if my answer was helpful or if you have any follow-up questions. Experts only
receive credit for our time if you rate our answers. I am eager to provide you satisfaction, although I may not be able to tell you what you want to hear. The law is not something I can change and may mean I have to deliver bad news



Judith Ludwic and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you