Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

We have petitioned the USCIS for non-immigrant Classification

We have petitioned the USCIS for non-immigrant Classification O-1A for two playing coaches for our rugby club here in Louisiana. The player coaches are currently in New Zealand and FIJI respectively. Our petition via the I-129 form with subsequent information for the New Zealand person has been denied. These two people with be here only for 12 months maximum and we will furnish them room and board while they stay here in the US. Are we using the correct classification as the USCIS wants us to provide NOBEL prize type of paperwork? These are high level rugby coaches and players but they are not NOBEL prize winners. Any help will be appreciated.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Yes, unfortunately you used the wrong classification. It should have been a P visa. Take a look at this link:

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/p-1a-internationally-recognized-athlete

It uses the same form as the O visa, but just a different classification. So try again and it wouldn't be a bad idea to use an attorney to organize the file. You can look for one at www.ailalawye.com. Just because there was a denial of the O status does not mean it would result in deinal of a P status.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-guillermosenmartin/ and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I change the classification through the I-290 B form through a brief as an appeal, or, should I start the entire process over with an new I-129 Classification P-1, or, should he just come on a visitor's VISA and we can change once he arrives?

I would start the entire process over again. It would be too easy for them to deny the I-290B just on the incorrect classification and then you would lose additional money.