How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108978
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have petitioned the USCIS for non-immigrant Classification

This answer was rated:

We have petitioned the USCIS for non-immigrant Classification O-1A for two playing coaches for our rugby club here in Louisiana. The player coaches are currently in New Zealand and FIJI respectively. Our petition via the I-129 form with subsequent information for the New Zealand person has been denied. These two people with be here only for 12 months maximum and we will furnish them room and board while they stay here in the US. Are we using the correct classification as the USCIS wants us to provide NOBEL prize type of paperwork? These are high level rugby coaches and players but they are not NOBEL prize winners. Any help will be appreciated.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Yes, unfortunately you used the wrong classification. It should have been a P visa. Take a look at this link:

It uses the same form as the O visa, but just a different classification. So try again and it wouldn't be a bad idea to use an attorney to organize the file. You can look for one at Just because there was a denial of the O status does not mean it would result in deinal of a P status.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and 3 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I change the classification through the I-290 B form through a brief as an appeal, or, should I start the entire process over with an new I-129 Classification P-1, or, should he just come on a visitor's VISA and we can change once he arrives?



I would start the entire process over again. It would be too easy for them to deny the I-290B just on the incorrect classification and then you would lose additional money.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and 3 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions