How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Georgetown Lawyer Your Own Question
Georgetown Lawyer
Georgetown Lawyer, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  10+ years of Immigration Experience in All Areas A-Z complex immigration cases & issues in all areas
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Georgetown Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been blogging online for a US online publisher, and

This answer was rated:

I have been blogging online for a US online publisher on freelance basis, and now i am going to the US on f1 status. The blogging is usually about 4 or 5 articles a month each with about 400-600 words. I get paid for published articles as per the editors determination. Is this illegal for me now under my new status?

What can i do to make it legal. can i keep the freelance contract as though i am still in my home country? and send contributions whenever i am outside of the US like once every two months?

.Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for you to ask any additional questions you may have if you feel the question has not been answered. Also, IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger, I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

In F1 status you are only allowed to work on campus and that is limited to 20 hours per week. To work anywhere off campus you need permission from uscis. To get permission you must show extreme hardship and the problem with that is that if you ask for permission, it indicates that you may not intend to leave the u.s. Furthermore, since you got your student visa by stating you have the funds/sponsor to support you during your studies coming in and immediately asking for permission is a negative mark against you. You need to decide what is more important....this freelance job or your ability to get an education in the u.s. Unfortunately, you cannot do both or you risk your visa. I hope this is clear.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law or whether you dislike the answer) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. If you feel I have not earned a positive rating, please give me a chance to do so. Keep in mind even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. We are not paid a salary here and positive ratings encourage experts to answer future questions. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just make sure you type: To Georgetown Lawyer on the subject line. Thank you!
Georgetown Lawyer and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you