How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28938
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I have a cousin who is an American citizen but lives abroad,

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have a cousin who is an American citizen but lives abroad, her son is a citizen of an EU country. Can she move here with her son so that the son would have legal residence and would he be eligible for public school enrollment? Thanks.

Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

How old is her son?

Was she a citizen when her son was born?



Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Her son is 14 I think. Yes she has been a US citizen since birth after her mother who was a US citizen, but my cousin has never had residence in the US. (She was born and she grew up in Austria, her son was born there as well)

There is a USCIS office at the US Embassy in Austria where she can file the I-130 for her son. Since the minor child of a US citizen does not have to wait for a visa number he can get his resident status in 3-5 months.

He would then be eligible to come to the US with his mother and go to school here at resident rates.



Judith Ludwic and 3 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you