How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109612
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ok I have more question. We filed the application May 3rd 2013

This answer was rated:

Ok I have more question. We filed the application May 3rd 2013 and have not yet been approved yet or received anything except the initial comfirmation letter of receipt of NOA 1. How long do you think we need to wait in order to be approved. My wife is pregnant and she won't return home unless I come with her, we want the baby to born in the states. Your reply is highly appreciated
The I-130 will probably be approved next month. It takes around 6 months to process an I-130, but the consular processing will take about 6 more months. You can try to expedite it. Here is a link:

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and 3 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If my I-30 is approved and I get my visa. How long to get my greencard and ssn?

Once you enter the U.S., it takes 2 to 6 weeks to get your green card and with that you can get your SSN.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. But do I need to file any other papers to get that? Or all I need to do is to just wait.

As soon as you enter the U.S. on the immigrant visa, the green card come automaticaly in the mail a few weeks later. Then you have to go personally to the Social Security office to ask for a Social Security Card.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thamks alot

You are very welcome! Thank you for the excellent rating. If you would like to request me in the future, please remember to put my name in the subject box. Good luck to you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a question. I am now in the USA through the cr1 visa and I got my green-card now. If i decide to leave the USA with my wife for just 6months, how possible is it for me to leave without the re-entry visa?

You should come back before 180 days. If you stay out longer than 180 days but less than a year, the officers will not like it, but should let you back in without confiscating your card and placing you in Removal Proceedings.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So you mean I can leave the country and come back in, as long as I dont exceed 180days? Is that right?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My last question: I will be leaving and returning back to the country every 5months hope that won't be a problem for the immigration to question my leaving and returning every 5months? And again, do I or not need required to apply for Re-entry visa? Is it necessary?

I doubt it will be your last question. Watch. No, that is not good enough. 5 months out, a few weeks in and 5 months out again is going to get you in trouble. You need to be in the U.S. more time than outside of the U.S. So if you are out 5 months, you should come back for 6 months before leaving again. Anyone that is a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) and is outside of the U.S. for 180 days or more within any 12 month period (not necessarily calendar year) creates a rebuttable presumption of abandonment of residency. That presumption can be rebutted by evidence to the contrary such as filing U.S. taxes, maintaining a home in the U.S. and paying that mortgage or rent, maintaining a U.S. drivers license, U.S. bank accounts with significant movement, etc.

Someone that has been outside of the U.S. for more than 1 year without first having an approved re-entry permit has abandoned their residency and only in very few exceptions (such as serious illness) can they get it back.

Here is an official link:

So if your plan is to live outside and just come back every 5 months for a few weeks, then you better get a Re-entry permit!

Good thing you said last question! Good luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks I appreciate. I will better get a 're-entry permit

Yes, that would be safest. Remember you don't have to wait in the U.S. for it. You have to be in the U.S. to apply and to have your fingerprints taken. After that you can leave and have it sent to you overseas. Good luck!
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and 3 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you