How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 29025
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi I have J1 short term scholar visa , can I extend it for

This answer was rated:

I have J1 short term scholar visa , can I extend it for another 6 months without leaving the country?

Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

No the maximum amount of time you may be in the US on a J1 as a short term scholar is 6 months. No extension is permitted.

You cannot apply for a change of program in the US from this category of J1.



Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So there is no way to waive this law

No there is no exception for this visa category to extend beyond 6 months. That is why it is a short-term scholar. It is strictly defined by law.



Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had previous J1 . Do you have any way to shorten the 12 months bar?

This is a new issue but I will give you the courtesy of an answer.

No, you cannot get a waiver of the 12 month bar. You may want to consider having the employer petition you for another visa category such as an O visa if you are extraordinary in your field or an H1B. If the employer is a university you would not be subject to the cap.



Judith Ludwic and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you