How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108997
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi there,I worked illegally in New Orleans for four months

This answer was rated:

Hi there,

I worked illegally in New Orleans for four months in 2009 during a backpacking trip. Whilst there I met a girl who I am now married to and have been for three years. I am currently in the middle of filling in the G325-a form to support my application for a K3 visa - my wife has filled in form I-130. I can't see how anyone could find out that I worked where I did but being an honest person I feel inclined to tell the truth anyway. On the other hand I don't want to be denied based on a few hours work here and there which I know was wrong. My wife and I currently live in the UK and have a little girl but my wife is desperate to move back to the US and I don't want my answers to jeopardise this.

What should I do??

I look forward to your response in anticipation.

Best Regards,

Bruce Walley
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Luckily, having worked illegally in the U.S. does not make you inadmissible to the U.S. without something more. If your time out of status was 180 days or more, then you could have a 3 year bar which would have passed already if you left in 2009. If your time out of status was 1 year or more, then you would have a 10 year bar. I assume that you only worked illegally for 4 months and left the U.S. So I think you should be fine. What I would do with the G-325A is leave the section on employment blank. It isn't necessarily lying. Since illegal employment isn't something that they look at to deny a case when one is married to a U.S. Citizen, then they most likely will not even look at it. If they ask for that information, then you will have to provide it, but like I said, if you just worked for 4 months illegally and left, then you should be ok because at worst it would be a 3 year penalty which would have expired 3 years after you left the U.S.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you