How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12302
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was refused to enter the state after so many years I have

This answer was rated:

I was refused to enter the state after so many years I have been traveling in and out..I don't really spends much time in the state because i had been taking care of my dad real estate I don't understand why i was refused to enter, also I am married to my high school mate I have known her for so many years and she has now become a citizen in the state which we have been married for a couple of years in the state...when i tried to enter the state again i was told they have notice i have been traveling often then i told the cbp officer because my wife lives in the state and i only come to the state just because of they got my visa cancelled then i was asked to return back home then apply for a spouse visa... so i will like to know if i will have any problem applying for a spouse visa...and my wife is seriously sick which i was hoping i could fly to the state to see her, is there any way i can get a temporary visa again or any waiver to travel for temporary..because with the spouse visa i notice its a really long way to go which i cant stand it now.. so please advice me then let me know what i can do about this
Hi there! Thank you for using this service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you with your questions today.


Yes, you are eligible to apply for an immigrant visa based on your marriage to a US citizen. But your US citizen spouse has to have an approved petition for you first. Once you enter the US, you immediately becomes a permanent resident. This is the traditional process.

The process is simple. Your spouse has to submit form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for you. Once this is approved, the I-130 will go to the National Visa Center, where it will be reviewed, and she will be asked to submit an Affidavit of Support with the fee. After processing at the NVC, the case will go to the US consulate closest to where you live abroad. You will be required to submit an immigrant visa application with fees. You also will undergo a medical examination and an immigrant visa interview.

Once the visa application is approved and the visa issued in the passport, you are eligible to travel to the US as immigrant. Upon entering the US, you will be considered a permanent resident and will get your green card in the mail in about 4 to 6 weeks.

That whole process will take about 9 to 12 months, sometimes a little less.

There is one way to get here sooner. It is called the K3 spousal visa. Once she's submitted the I-130 she will receive an I-797, Receipt Notice. With this, she can file form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance. I realize it is called a fiance form, but it is also used for the K3 visa.

If approved, you will be eligible to apply for the K3 visa to be able to come to the US and await the completion of the processing of the I-130 petition. Once the I-130 is approved, you will apply for adjustment of status instead of the process I mentioned above. The K3 process takes approximately 6 to 9 months to complete before you can come.

There is one big problem with the K3 process however. This visa was created to help families be together at a time when the I-130 petition was taking a very long time to complete processing. Naturally, once the I-130 petition is approved, there is no use for the K3 visa. So if the I-130 is approved before the consulate issues you the K3 visa, you are no longer eligible for it. Currently it is not taking as long for the I-130 to process, so it is not very often that a K3 visa is issued anymore. But sometimes it still is, so you might get lucky.

Please know that while I always do my best to assist customers with coming up with a good solution to their situation, from time to time, the law does not provide a good solution to every situation. Please do not hold bad news against me by giving me a negative rating.

I hope I have answered your questions. If you need more help, please use the reply button to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my satisfactory customer service (not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control) with a top-three rating, as this is the only way I receive credit for assisting you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have immigration or TSA questions in the future, just click Ask Expert James a Question! and make sure you write "FOR JAMES" in the subject or at the beginning of your question. This is the only way to ensure that I will assist you.

Thank you!
Expert James and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you