How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108710
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wifes sister will have to come on a tourist visa. I

This answer was rated:

My wife's sister will have to come on a tourist visa.

I know the embassy will want to see a reason to return. She is single with 2 kids no house and a very little paying job.

Being that she has no house or job worth returning to does that mean she can't bring her kids?
Well, if the kids do not stay behind, what strong ties does she have left in Colombia? If you were a consular officer, what would convince you that the would go back?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

B2 visas can be for long periods of time if you stay no longer than 6 months right?



The B-2 can be granted for a short period of time like a month, but more commonly, they are granted for 5 or 10 years. So that just means that she can come in and out during the validity of the visa. As far as how long she can stay, that is determined by the officer at the port of entry. Most of the time they give 6 months, but they could give as little as a week or two. But to go back to your original question, if her children would come with her, they would probably deny them all visas. If she just applies on her own and the children would stay behind, that would increase her chances of approval because most people will not abandon their children to stay in the U.S.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions