How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109323
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was here in the U.S on F1 student visa and I applied for

This answer was rated:

I was here in the U.S on F1 student visa and I applied for adjustment of status while I was on F1 student visa. But I have violated immigration law in the past by overstaying and working. This is documented by the DHS and I have agreed to it. However, I was allowed to enter U.S on student visa. Will I be able to successful adjust status?

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

How are you applying for Adjustment of Status? And your last entry was legal without any fraud meaning that the officer at the port of entry when you were let in knew about previous violations?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have applied adjustment of status under F2A child category. I'm currently under 21 years of age. Yes the DHS knows my violations. it's already in there system due to secondary inspection. At that point of my inspection I was rejected to enter the U.S and I was told to get student visa. Than I took student visa and for the second time there system triggered and I was put into secondary inspection again and they checked my I-20 and told me to stay in status and I was able successfully enter U.S. Then I applied for Adjustment of Status while on F1 status.

You should be successful since they have allowed you into the U.S. with knowledge of your violations. IF they say you are inadmissible because of it, you would have a chance to file an I-601 waiver to waive the inadmissibility. And even if that is denied, if your parent becomes a U.S. Citizen before you turn 21, you could get Residency like that. But like I said, since they have allowed you into the U.S. without a waiver, I do not believe that you are inadmissible. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you